Here’s something you don’t see every winter day.
It’s common to see mist on spring and fall mornings, when cool temperatures and warm ground produce hovering mist and vapor. It’s not as common in winter, when the temperature difference between earth and air is not so great.
But today it was so! Perhaps more due to chimney smoke not able to rise easily in the very cold air, but whatever the cause, it was a magical looking landscape as the sun rose over the eastern mountains.
This scene was both a joy and a challenge to paint. The joy was in having something really different to paint. The challenge in that the mist had an effect on every thing – particularly the color, light and value. Mist always settles in the lower areas of the landscape and ends up obscuring lower portions of mountains and hills.
Capturing the transition from hillside to mist is requires distinct but soft edged shapes. In other words, lots of wet-into-wet work. The other effect of mist is more subtle. The presence of mist in the atmosphere mutes both color and value. In the winter landscape, which already has a lack of color, the effect is to whiten and brighten most every element, and to reduce the range of value.
This painting is essentially five colors- two blues, two earth tones and a muted red, combined carefully to express the bright but muted landscape of this special winter morning!
It is my great privilege to sell most of my paintings direct to my buyers – many of whom purchase online. This one has already found a new home!
But, It's available as a Limited Edition Print!
All editions are limited to 50 prints and are mounted and matted to a standard size for easy, low-cost framing.
“Shadows & Mist” is mounted and matted to 11″h x 14″w. For easy, low-cost framing. Shipping and Handling to any U. S. address is $6.95.
- Print is a signed and numbered limited edition of 50 .
- Comes matted and mounted with acid free materials.
- Matted to standard 11″ x 14″ for easy, low-cost framing.
- Printed on acid-free Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper
- Printed with Epson K3 Ultrachrome archival, pigmented ink
- Print will be shipped by US Postal Service Priority Mail.
- Money Back Guarantee – If you are not completely satisfied, return the print in it’s original matting and packaging within 30 days for a full refund of the purchase price.